Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

RunKeeper [iPhone/Android]

Postby Skaila » Sat 22 Jan, 2011 20:33

If you know me a bit, you know I'm not a sportive person. Sure I used to play sports a lot as a teenager, but since I've been working, the only active thing I do is get out of the car and slump onto the couch. However, I saw a friend of mine using it and figured what the hell.

The name is Runkeeper and it's an app for the iPhone and Android currently. What does it do? Track your running time and distance? Yes, but it does much much more. Despite the name you can also track any activity, such as walking, hiking, cycling, mountain biking, etc. You can even log your activity indoors when you use a hometrainer for example.

So how does it work? You can track what you're doing by GPS or manually. When you're outside (say walking) then it can track the walking distance, you mileage and how fast you went, or how slow. During one activity, you can use your own playlist or complete music library to listen to music.

Image Image

In the fourth tab you can choose some settings. For example if you want a target pace. Runkeeper tracks everything as I said before, so also the pace you're going or running or cycling. A second option is that you can choose a standard workout, or create one. The last thing is FitnessClasses. You can sign up for those with a coach. But I'll tell more about this later.

Image Image

Then starts the tracking itself. You click the green button and it starts tracking your activity. In the settings tab you can choose that a voice informs you every so often how far you have walked / ran etc, or how long you've been doing the activity. This is especially handy if you're doing something with intervals. During your tracking period, you can check the screen as well and see your pace, the time spent, the distance etc.

Afterwards, when you have stopped tracking your activity you can see the end result. It shows the amount of time of the activity, the calories burned, the average time per kilometer (or mile). This is visible in the three screens. In the first tab, you can see a small map with the route you have followed with the kilometers (or miles) marked at each point. So it's quite nice to have this visualize.

The next screen shows the pacing, with the drops and heights while you were doing the activity. The third screen shows the amount of time per kilometer (or mile).

Image Image

Of course, it doesn't stop there, there is a website dedicated to Runkeeper as well. You can access the website here: http://runkeeper.com

So once you're signed up, what do you see? The home screen shows your current Fitness Feed which display personal bests. You can also sign up on Facebook and display your results there. You can also show the routes you have saved etc. You can also enter weight and link it to a special weight scale. But that's something you can look into for yourself.

Street Teams are a nice feature. You can team up with others in your neighborhood and start running together, or do some sort of activity together. This is a good way for people who don't like to run alone or have someone along for the ride. Like they say, it's much more fun in a group than alone.

The last thing I'm going to talk about are the Fitness Classes. For a certain sign up fee you can attend classes several times a week and online. You have to make a certain goal each time. So basically this requires some self discipline, but you also get coached. You have several options and if you're training for something like a 5k run, then this could be a good way for you to train. For a fee, of course.

ImageImage

Return to “Computer Geeks”