Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Hot Fuzz

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 21:15

Certainly one of the most awaited movies around here where we find many Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost fans: Hot Fuzz gets on international screens a lot faster than its illustrious predecessor Shaun Of The Dead.

It will be on french screens on july 18th but hopefully Internet is here and my dvd arrived a few weeks ago, allowing me to see this movie several times before coming here writing about it ;)

Yes ! The magic trio issued from the excellent TV serie Spaced is back ! :bounce:

After zombies and horror, Hot Fuzz targets all action B-movies we love so much, often as guilty pleasure ;)

Simon Pegg plays officer Nicholas Angel: a top class cop, victim of his insulting success. Indeed collecting medals  and honours actually drives his hierarchy to send him far away from London where policemen now all appear totally incompetent and look bad compared to Angel insolent successes.

So without having the slightest opportunity to refuse it, Angel sees himself offered a mutation in the country side. He will take his new functions in the village of Standford, a village elected for years as the safest village of all britain.

Coming from the big city Angel has quite some difficulties to adapt himself to his new rural environment. Police work there promises to be boring humdrum routine. A very frustrating situation also for his his new partner, officer Danny Butterman (Nick Frost), an hardcore fan of action movies like Point Break or Bad Boys 2, who dreams of cars chases and spectacular gunfights and fantasies a lot about Angel's former work as top cop in London.

Hopefully, at least for them, a strange series of "accidents" awakes Angel's intuition. There's something going wrong in Standford. Angel and Butterman   are on the inquiry and are about to unleash hell on the peacefull village.

But first, they have to bring back the goose to its owner :D

I have to admit that after my first watching of Hot Fuzz I was very enthusiastic but, yes, a bit disappointed also regarding my expectations after Shaun Of The Dead.

Actually I just can't explain you why this disappointment as, on second watching I just got totally trapped by the movie and actually today I would even say that not only Hot Fuzz is a worthy successor to Shaun Of The Dead, in fact I even find that our brit' team has even gone farther and better.

Hot Fuzz is first a very good comedy, a very nicely written and directed parody of the targeted genre.

We thought we have had all possible couples for the buddy-movie. We had the couple based on racial parameters (Lethal Weapon, Rush Hour,...), age parameters (Lethal Weapon again,...), professions (Showtime,...) and so on, ...  Hot Fuzz  manages to comes with an idea as simple as original and efficient: the big city top cop and the country side peaceful officer.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are both as good as we could expect them to be in their respective roles and their are very well supported by the rest of the cast. All contributing to make Hot Fuzz being more than a very good comedy but being a very good movie.

The writing is as usual and as already said very good but Edgar Wright brings more than his writing skills to the movie as, once again, the picture is perfect.

I do think Edgar Wright is clearly one of the very best director currently working. This guy knows how to make a scene work !

In fact I think the responsible for my first little disappointment is the trailer just below which in fact as made me awaiting something else. Actually if all indeed leads to a crazy and unleashed action final, the movie takes its time to bring you there.I think that's why, knowing that, I've enjoyed with more delightfulness my second watching and the following ones ;)

My vote for Hot Fuzz is a great 5/6 and I look forward with with constant excitement to Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost next project.  :bounce:

Chevvie

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 13:40

I d put a 6/6; the ending is a bit long, but it s so full of great moments that i can t put less  :bounce:

Return to “Europe”