Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Tanguy

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 17 Apr, 2006 15:13

Today I'm going to introduce some of you to another french movie, a comedy titled Tanguy (pronounce "Tem" (like in "tempest") and "gee" (like in "geek")). ;)

IMDb wrote: Tanguy (2001)
Director: Etienne Chatiliez
Genre: Comedy / Drama
Runtime: 108 min / Argentina:110 min / Germany:109 min
Language: French / Japanese / Mandarin
Color: Color
SoundMix: DTS / Dolby Digital
Certification: Argentina:13 / France:U / Germany:6 / Singapore:R(A) / Spain:13 / Switzerland:12 (canton of Geneva) / Switzerland:12 (canton of Vaud) / Switzerland:12 (canton of the Grisons)

Tanguy Guetz (Eric Berger), 28 years old, is a loving boy and brilliant student: he has gone through very difficult studies including very prestigious french schools like the E.N.A. (for Ecole Nationale d'Administration (= National Administration School) where many french leaders in economy or politic have studied). He has studied such various stuff like philosophy, japanese that his parents hardly keep traces of these studies.

He is currently finishing a thesis in chinese. At the same time he studies, like all thesis students he's working as a teacher in university but he also works as an external consultant in a ministry.

On another hand Tanguy is a wonderfull boy, always kind and polite, full of love for his parents who return him well this love. The three of them live together in a very nice parisian flat, a nest Tanguy sees no point to leave.

Not that he is not aware of the situation but he has enough autonomy like that, especially as his parents are used to see different girls from time to time in the morning breakfast. Because, yes, I hadn't mentionned that point but Tanguy is also a Don-Juan...

In six months or so, Tanguy will present his thesis and will then leave Paris for Pekin where a chair is awaiting him. His parents are supporting him as they want the best future possible for him.

Problem is that the situation is not exactly like it seems: Tanguy's mother, Edith (Sabine Azéma), is reaching the nervous breakdown point as time goes by and Tanguy stays with them. She sees herself as a bad mother to have such feelings and secretly consults a psychiatrist to help her. Before she was afraid to see Tanguy leaving them, now she is afraid to see him staying FOREVER ! :eek:

She finally opens her heart to her husband Paul (André Dussollier) when Tanguy announces them he needs one more year to finish his thesis and then won't leave them before one year and a half. Paul himself was already teased since a long time by is own mother, Odile (Hélène Duc) who doubts Tanguy will ever leave the nest if her son doesn't force him to.

Edith and Paul come to a simple solution to reach out of their dead-end: as Tanguy doesn't want to leave, enjoying his current situation, they decide to make his situation enough uncomfortable so he will decide on his own to leave them.

If they are quite shy on their first moves, seeing Tanguy staying so calm and kind, makes the parents more and more bellicoses. As they only confront (fainted ?) incomprehension from Tanguy, the situation slightely turns to open war, especially after Tanguy sends his parents to court to remind them they have the obligation to take care of their child.

While Edith seems to go deeper and deeper in depression, she finds herself caught between an evily kind son and a machiavelic husband who imagines more and more crazy plans to make Tanguy go. From love for the flesh of their flesh, their feelings evolve to blind hatred.

I had missed Tanguy when it had been released in theater and just discovered the movie with Liewen yesterday. We both had missed it and heard tons of good critics about it.

Usually when you hear too much good things about a movie, you feel disapointed and, well, I don't think it has been the case here as I've surprised myself many time laughing loudely in front of this movie.

For his performance in Tanguy, André Dussollier has been nominated for the 2002 Césars (french academy award) as best actor. He deserved this as he clearly handles most of the movie with a character evolving all along the movie, passing through so much different kinds of emotions most of them in opposition. He is just excellent and was clearly behind 95% of my laughing bursts :D

Regarding Tanguy's character, I was wondering yesterday if this kind of roles could not kill a starting career. Indeed Eric Berger gives us an amazing exaspering Tanguy, hidden behind his huge innocent eyes and his chinese proverbs for all situations, you really want to see him suffer, like his own parents want :D

Hopefully I've seen Eric Berger acts in other movies like Mensonges et Trahisons et plus si affinités... and I know that in the character Tanguy, it's none the less than Eric Berger that must be salute and not his personnality :D

He was also nominated in 2002 to the Césars as "Most Promissing Actor". Once again this nomination wasn't a mistake :gj:

Only Sabine Azéma has a little bit disapointed me but if her character starts the events in a way, she is quickly overtaken by them and Sabine Azéma doesn't have a real opportunity to show her talent as she has in other movies...

I've really spent a nice time watching Tanguy and don't regreat a second to have bought the dvd.

If youhave the opportunity to see it, be ready for laughing hardly! :D

A 4/6 from me.

Chevvie

Yomghee
marquess
marquess

Postby Yomghee » Mon 17 Apr, 2006 15:36

it near my life so it deservers a 5/6 ... Except i left my parents at 18 :p

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:56