Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

The Thirteenth Floor

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 10 Apr, 2006 00:57

Tonight I've just made Liewen discover a movie which had not made a lot talk about it in 1999 while huge blockbusters were occupying the audiences. Here I am now starting a topic to be sure those who might have missed it will now know about it ;)

This movie is The Thirteenth Floor.

IMDb wrote: The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
Director: Josef Rusnak
Genre: Mystery / Sci-Fi / Thriller
Runtime: 100 min
Language: English
Color: Color
SoundMix: DTS / Dolby Digital / SDDS
Certification: Malaysia:U (cut version) / Malaysia:18SG (uncut version) / Argentina:13 / Australia:M / Chile:14 / France:U / Germany:12 (w) / Norway:15 / Peru:14 / Singapore:NC-16 / Spain:13 / Sweden:15 / UK:15 / USA:R / Iceland:16 / Canada:14 (Nova Scotia) / Canada:AA (Ontario) / Philippines:PG-13 / Brazil:Livre

The Thirteenth Floor starts in 1937 in Los-Angeles where the audience follows a certain Mr Fuller (Armin Mueller-Stahl) in a magnificent jazzbar. There Mr Fuller entrusts a bartender (Vincent D'Onofrio) with an envelope to be given to the man who will come to seek it and will indenfy himself as "Douglas Hall".

Mr Fuller insists on these instructions and then leave the bar to be found murdered in the street in ... 1998 where he had transported himself just before.

Detective Larry McBain (Dennis Haysbert) inherites of the case and quickly his suspicions go toward Douglas Hall (Craig Bierko) who happens to work with Hannon Fuller since 6 years  for Intergraph Computer Systems, a cutting edge artificial intelligence firm.

Hannon Fuller designated as "the Einstein of our generation" is behind a totally new simulation which was actually where Fuller was at the begining of the movie. Fuller's testament, modified a few weeks before his death, designates Douglas Hall as the new head of ICS which only makes him appear more suspicious to the detective's eyes. Especially when Fuller's daughter(Gretchen Mol) appears from nowhere and says her father told her he wanted to close the company.

Douglas Hall himself feels unconfident about what has happened as he suffers from a total amnesia regarding the night of the murder and he has found a skirt full of blood in his bathroom the morning after.

The only hint at his disposal is a message let on his answering machine by Fuller just before he has been murdered, a message mentionning the letter.

Looking to find out what has happened to his former boss and friend, Douglas knows that all the answers he's looking for are in the fictious 1937 of their simulation.

None other than Fuller has actually tested the simulation and Douglas is just astonished by the result. All seems so realistic, so living, so TRUE.

In this world Douglas begins his inquiry about his friend's occupation, going through all evidences to the truth is seeking. This inquiry will drives him to answers which will go way beyond the murder of his friend...

When The Thirteenth Floor was released, people had already seen Dark City and the first Matrix and at once The Thirteenth Floor has been compared to these master-pieces of SF cinema without being able to handle this competition which certainly musthavebeen compromissed its diffusion and its success.

You don't find in The Thirteenth Floor the action you find in Matrix, nor the "magnificient darkness" Proyas masters so well in Dark City.

But, you do find in The Thirteenth Floor a very good story around a very well handed SF plot. Sadely the end is a bit too cliché but never the less it does work.

It does because the story is well served by a great casting and a very very good work on the picture. The Los-Angeles of 1937 as a kind of sepia filter which works great, especially with the very realistic sets. As Douglas Hall the spectator is amazed by this simulation :)

I also find the SFX are perfect and the story well mastered as, 7 years after, The Thirteenth Floor hasn't grown "has been",quite the contrary actually. I hadn't watched it since quite a long time and I've had much pleasure to see it again tonight on my dvdplayer.

The Thirteenth Floor is not a master-piece but should not be missed for those who are interrested by SF.

Imho, this movie still deserves today a very well earned 4/6.

Chevvie

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:56

I found this movie to be only mildly interesting. I saw it when it first came out, and I don't remember any details about why I didn't like it, but I remember thinking that I was glad I had seen it on Pay Per View instead of in the theater because it wasn't worth paying theater price to see.

2/6
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:44

Maybe you were just not in the mood for SF ? :roll:

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:50

I'm always in the mood for SciFi. :P
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Mindtrust
elite
elite

Postby Mindtrust » Mon 10 Apr, 2006 13:10

mmm might want to look at this one.... (can't be worse then the movie i saw last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240793/ )

Shadow Goughy
baron
baron

Postby Shadow Goughy » Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:41

3/6

When i watched this movie, a good few years ago.  I found it mildy interesting and the ending was guessable imo.

Still not a bad watch compared to some films

Skaila
elite
elite
Steam ID: skaila84
raptr ID: Skaila
Xfire ID: Skaila

Postby Skaila » Sat 13 May, 2006 11:04

I saw this last week on the tv. It did remind me of The Matrix in a way, but without the action. And without the "Whoa" (I did miss that though).

Interesting concept nevertheless, leaves you wondering and wanting to get in your car and check it out :P

I give it a 4/6.
ImageImage

Kelrond
tower guard
tower guard

Postby Kelrond » Tue 23 May, 2006 06:59

Well, I just really liked the last 2 seconds of the movies, plus I found the story very interesting.. It doesn't have to be a crazy action film before I enjoy it. A good story is more important for me, and I certainly think this movie had several nice touches.. :) 5/6

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Fri 14 Jul, 2006 16:17

just saw it and i found it really good, i wasn t expecting much since it looks pretty cheap from outside, without known actors or directors, and it was unlucky to be released the same year than Matrix with a somehow similar subject of virtual reality. and never heard of it.

but it s worth to be seen, the 1930 s Los Angeles sequences are extraordinary well rendered and the plot is interresting.

some flaws too, of course (the time machine made me think of a german techno disco bar of the 80s :p) and the changing personnalities become predictable after a while (sorry, half spoiler...)

but reallly good and entertaining, worth a 4 to me - some movies areover-hyped others are underestimated like this one

Return to “Europe”